Single Wall Slip Fit Connection:
Precision Duct Systems fittings are sized to slip into, and should be used along with spiral pipe manufactured by Precision Duct Systems. A tight fit is necessary to minimize friction loss, noise and leakage. Unless a flanged duct system or a gasketed self sealing system is purchased, the following sealant steps are recommended:
- Insert the bottom of the fitting collar into the spiral pipe at a slight angle. Once achieved, begin to work the rest of the collar into the duct up to where 1″ remains exposed. Note, use the heal of your hand if necessary, but avoid use of screwdrivers or knives.
- Apply sealant to the inch that is exposed. After applied, push the collar into the spiral pipe up to the stop bead or gore lock connection.
- Fasten the fitting into the spiral duct with screws ½” from the stop bead. Screws should be placed minimum 6″ on center.
Sheet Metal Flange Connection:
Precision Duct Systems fitting lengths grow 3″ on each end that receive a sheet metal flange. This should be taken into consideration when lengths are being detailed. Flanges come factory installed on both fittings and spiral pipe. Flanges are sealed on both inside and outside prior to leaving our factory, however customer should inspect to insure that the sealer is intact and not damaged during shipment. If crack or lack of sealer are present, repair sealer as required. For joint connections:
- Place closed cell neoprene gasket provided by Precision Duct Systems on the face of one of the mating flanges. The gasket should be completely around the circumference of the flange. No voids in the gasket should exist.
- Push the flanges together while keeping the edges of the flange aligned.
- Clamp the flanges together utilizing a locking C Clamp to help hold the connection in place, while compressing the gasket.
- Screw the flanges together with self tapping screws. The screws should be evenly spaced around the perimeter of the connection no more than 6″ on center. Placement of the screws should be opposite of each.